The legendary Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2 on the Hudson River in New York City, October 16, 2008, as she departs for the final time.



18 June, 2010

QE2 Sold

Two years ago on this date, this image came up on my screen at work. This image was saved to my hard drive.  While I sat down at my desk for a quiet lunch, I could not believe what I was seeing was true.  A few more frantic Google searches confirmed the news to be legitimate.  I was just not prepared for this news.  All signs coming from Cunard were that the ship would sail on past the 2010 SOLAS requirement deadline, which we had been told the ship would be able to meet with minimal work.   Apparently, Cunard got an offer they just could not refuse.

In only one respect was this good news.  This bit of news sealed the deal regarding whether we were going to go on the transatlantic crossing I had booked months earlier.  This winter crossing was going to be special anyway since it was a tandem crossing with the new Queen Victoria.  I called Dawn at work and told her that there would be no further discussion about cancelling this trip.  We were going on QE2's final winter crossing and we would make it into the Winter Crossing Club with no time to spare. 

I would get in my winter crossing and experience some rough seas with a big grin on my face!

Thank you Myles for posting a reminder of the significance of this day on the definitive site on the Queen Elizabeth 2, the world's most famous ocean liner.  http://www.theqe2story.com/.

2 comments:

  1. It was a terrible shame that Cunard sold QE2. The most famous ship in the world now sits in Dubai needing a new home and some TLC! I hope that a suitable use for this great ship is found soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe it's been two years already. I fear people are starting to forget about her. Thanks for the article!

    ReplyDelete