The legendary Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2 on the Hudson River in New York City, October 16, 2008, as she departs for the final time.



06 October, 2010

QE2 Isle of Skye - October 6, 2008

Two years ago, QE2 passed by the Isle of Skye while on the Farewell to the British Isles cruise. The day began dreary, but the sky opened up as we passed by the ancestrial home of the MacLeods.

QE2 Officer's Noon Position Report

Ryan wanted pancakes for breakfast so we headed to the Mauretania Restaurant.  I joined him with an order of pancakes as well, but made my blueberry, with American style bacon.  Ryan's came with the thicker British style bacon, which was the only time we had any meal "cock-up" on our cruise.

In honor of my Scottish heritage and the fact that we were off Isle of Skye, I ordered a second course of kippers, a decision that would haunt me for the rest of the day.  I love fish and will occasionally have a tin of smoked kippers that we can get at our local supermarket.  What came from the kitchen of QE2 was far different and more potent.  In fact, the second course came up the dumbwaiter at the waiter's station near us and I could immediately smell the order of fish for breakfast. 

Someone at another table commented that I was brave and wondered if I knew what was in store.  THey obviously could smell the dish from their table.  They suggested that I add butter to complete the dish and temper the fish flavor.  With the butter, the fish was quite tasty, but I think it was a bit overcooked around the edges.  I finished most of it, but the taste of fish would remain with me for most of the day, at least until I had a hamburger at lunch!

After the meal, I ventured out on Boat Deck to grab some pictures of Skye.  Despite the distance maintained by QE2 from the rocky shore, the scenery was breathtaking.  I could make out a lighthouse on a peninsula, which I would later determine from Google Earth to be the Neist Point Lighthouse.

Neist Point Lighthouse

The Outer Hebrides in the distance.

Trawler at work with a village in the distance.

Skye in the distance.

Outer Hebides, Isle of Lewis and Harris in the distance.


Later that afternoon, the QE2 Cabin Cavalcade was scheduled and those that chose to participate in showing off their unique cabins were to meet in the Midship's Lobby.  Commodore Warwick stopped by at the beginning and spoke to us all for a bit, before heading off.  More on the tour in a future post.

Silver model of QE2 by Asprey, located in the Midship's Lobby, which now resides in the Yacht Club of QE3.

No comments:

Post a Comment